Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Correction To My Post About Flare 2017 R3


In my post about Flare 2017 R3 on Nov. 24, I said:

"If you copy the content in this topic, paste it into Word, and generate the readability statistics in Word, you’ll get different results. When I tried it, Word gave a readability of 65.1 and a grade level of 7.0, both still excellent but different from Flare... This may be caused by Flare’s using the same "Flesch Reading Ease” and “Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level” algorithms as Word but with different options enabled."

As it turns out, the problem is not one of having different options enabled in Flare vs. Word but rather the fact that Flare and Word interpret what a "sentence" is somewhat differently. So the feature is still as useful as I said it was in yesterday's post, but the Flare and Word results are not directly comparable.

No comments: